It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new.
But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful.
There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.
Alan Cohen
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.

Friday, April 1, 2016

Notes On the Road

Well, it started out quite bumpy .. I got a ticket for not having cash for the Turnpike toll that I had no idea I was going to have to pay and apparently ignorance and only having a credit card don't make a bit of difference. So I just mailed off my little check to the little man who made such a big deal out of my being clueless about the New Jersey Transit Authorities feelings about tolls and fees and whatever.
So that started things off with a little sadness .. I felt like this is how stupid I am and how unable to do simple things like take a trip and not have cash for tolls that were not a part of the plan .. tolls ? I haven't lived in NJ for a very long time I guess.

The ride has been just monotonous. The view is nice but the same for miles and miles and hours and hours. With no one in the car to have discussions, plans, jokes, teasing, venting  ... all the things one does with the driver of their choice ..were absent on my ride.
So I listened to music and thought about Everything.

Mostly it was an uneventful ride / it is not over, I am in South Carolina, I will be out of SC tomorrow.
The biggest issue tonight, funnily enough, was that I had to go find cat litter. Got directions immediately and found it with no problem .. but they had no cat litter... sent me to the Dollar store .
They have litter at the dollar store ???
This is not strictly a dollar store like I knew but it wasn't expensive and it was cat litter so I was pleased.
But this all took place in a sudden thunder storm, driving in the dark in an area that I am clueless about.

This is when those Southern traits show up and my memories stir of elderly ladies saying Bless your heart, or God love you honey .. and though they are total strangers and probably say this a dozen times a day, it is so soothing and comforting.
I was worried about the storm, being in an unknown area and not knowing how safe it was .
This small frail woman started talking to me about cats .. of course, I was holding a bag of litter !
And she was so sweet and then said her heart was failing.
She could die at any time.
But she bought her pack of cigarettes and said goodbye and wished me a happy life in my new home ..
What could I say ? I told her I hoped next year I was in Florence again and I would run into her at the Dollar store. She gave me a hug.
Because we both know I wouldn't be seeing her next year ..

I drove back to the hotel in a lightening storm, went to the desk and met the new dog staying in the hotel.
He loved me. He was beautiful, smelled good and just wanted me to hold him and flatter him some more. I was perfectly happy to indulge his wishes, his owners smiled and said he was always friendly but he had obviously fallen in love.
He was a small , black .. poodle ..

So the computer is working, I found the right wires to juice it up, Merlin is so content and snoring away curled up next to me .. that is the way he takes a ride in the car too.
Minette is having a bath on the chair by the window that looks out over all of South Carolina.. with lightening now and then.

I will be glad to arrive in my new town.
Not just because I am tired of driving but I am looking forward to this New Beginning.. no snowbound sadness, no being afraid of Everything .. alone and sad. Even though I will be sad at times, it won't be the same as being sad in isolation.

The cats and I will have to keep an eye out for a baby puppy like I met today - make our little tribe complete.

More tomorrow ............



22 comments:

  1. You are amazing. What a challenge and how well you have risen to it. As you drive the distance between you and the sadness you leave behind are symbolic of your new life and moving to a happier future. So glad the kitties are OK.

    And I thought all tolls either scan your license or take cards these days. I guess not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh honey what a perfectly lovely thing to say. I so often feel clueless and just a dope.
    Yes, I try to see it as driving away from the sad and lonely and into the sunshine and light so we will see.
    Those kitties will be the death of me ! I worry about them too much :)
    I am ignorant of all matters regarding tolls except for old coots who yell at drivers ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are coping so well Candice - not an easy drive I know but so glad you are managing, and keeping your wonderful sense humor intact.

    Take care - and looking forward to hearing more when you arrive in Florida.
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Mary. About the sense of humor, I have had to try a few times to see something in a funny light rather than just lying down and weeping and wondering Why Why me ???? lol
    Thank you .. you will hear from me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delighted to learn about your adventures to date Candice along with its ups and downs, which you have coped with admirably. I know that you are going to be alright - your sense of humour is evident and together with your precious cargo, Merlin, Minette, you will all be triumphant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering how you were doing, and popped in here this morning just in case there was any news. And there was! I can totally relate to driving around somewhere strange in the dark and the nagging fear that brings on.
    You have done brilliantly so far and will continue to do so.
    I am sure as the drive goes on you will feel more confident, so that when you arrive in Florida you will be as convinced of your strength as everyone who follows your blog already is.
    A new life, a new confident you.
    Good luck with the rest of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A ticket for not having CASH? Are they in the 1950s?
    The kindness of strangers is a wonderful thing. I try to remember that and to dish it out as often as possible.
    Good luck on your move!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A ticket for not having CASH? Are they in the 1950s?
    The kindness of strangers is a wonderful thing. I try to remember that and to dish it out as often as possible.
    Good luck on your move!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you checked in and to see that you're doing fine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hard to think of anything more unsettling that unknown nighttime landscapes in the pouring rain. I'm glad you made it to the hotel without incident.
    And I'm so glad the cats are doing well. Any cat we ever had yelled (or urped) every single time we took them in the car, so I was worried your trip would be wearing from that perspective.
    And I think you're downright courageous to forge ahead. It's so difficult when you're used to being part of a team.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like your trip is going smoothly, except for the toll ticket. How are people to know these rules if they are not familiar with the areas, I guess always making sure you have a little cash on hand would be the answer.
    Happy to read the kitties are coping well, you'll be crossing over the Florida state line before you know it !
    Safe journey dear Candice and kitties.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are being so brave. Happy to hear that it is going well and that the cats are becoming such good travelers. Good luck with the rest of the trip. I hope that you quickly find a new home. Your husband would be so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Almost there, you have put some miles behind you. I love this can do spirit. Our neighbor lady recently moved from Houston to Miami and drove by herself as well, without even a kitty for company. Had I been her, I think I would at least have adopted a little dog to be in the car with me. She has made several long distance moves all by herself. Soon you will be close to family and friends, a warmer climate and look back with a feeling of pride in what you have achieved. Wishing you the very best for the rest of your drive and settling into your new home. Elle

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seems like you are handling everything just fine!
    Can't wait to see where you settle into...
    Safe drive!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was in driving in North Florida today and kept looking for a pretty lady with two cats on the highway.
    You're almost halfway there :)
    "Keep On Keeping On" Sweetie

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pleased you are keeping in touch during your travels, it will help knowing your cyber friends are keeping you company along the way. Keep a journal of all the little experiences you're having it will make for interesting reading when you finally get settled & you find yourself sipping your iced tea on a sunny porch in your new home. Drive carefully & keep us posted.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great start to your road trip. Don't worry about blips like the tolls, you are travelling in new areas, as your husband would have said, it's all part of the adventure. I am glad your cats are not stressed out, sounds like they are enjoying the trip also.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was delighted to see you posted. Missed reading your blog. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to hear your news, Candice! Hope the rest of the trip is uneventful...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Been wondering how the journey was going, glad to hear it's gone well apart from the toll problem. Better to have that happen at the start and then go smoothly afterwards than the alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are so brave. I've never made a long trip by myself. I'm sure you're at your destination by now. I hope you had a safe trip, uneventful in any bad way.

    Glad your kitties were there to keep you company.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome..Thank you.

Living in Argentina

Living in Argentina

Blog Archive

Pages

And Don't Forget To Visit Me Here Too !

See more photos here

sunset in Buenos Aires

Powered By Blogger