It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new.
But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful.
There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.
Alan Cohen
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Friends

I count myself lucky to have some friends from my teen years, from my early married years and from the days when we lived in Buenos Aires.
We have all kept in touch, not worried when a lot of time went by between letters/emails, because sooner or later, a wonderful story of travels done, babies born, pups found, stories to tell were sent to me in emails or actually on paper in envelopes ! Complete with photos ..

Over the years I have treasured these friends... they withstood the test of Time.

We still have interest in each others lives and well being.
We care.

Then there are the "friends" who can be met online, in chat forums, when someone asks a question you might have the answer for and you keep in touch .. after a few years, I guess/consider that a "friend" of sorts... even if you never met them in "real life".
I lost a lot of friend types when my husband died.
I guess the fear of that sort of Loss coming to close to their complacent lives was scary.
Then there are the ones who were friendly online because they wanted something ..

I am so glad today that the hopefully, last of 'those who wanted something' types are gone and the friends I have , have stood the test of time and loyalty and remain in my shorter but sweeter book of Friends.

Especially that silly girl that I met when we were 20 years old, in California, got into all kinds of "trouble" (never anything serious) and met all kinds of people and went to all kinds of places.
Now we are both grandmothers and laugh our heads off at the escapades of those two girls.. and fondly remember how much of it would not have happened if not for her ... and she says she would never have done That ! if not for me ....

Online friends come and go. There is nothing that really establishes that sort of "friendship" and you need to be able to look a person in the eye once or twice to feel that they are actually "real" and trustworthy.

So while I might be lonely now- it is because I miss my best friend of all, my husband.
No one else will fill that empty spot.

And the friends I have and the friends I make will be valued, more so when I toss out those names of those people who I might have thought were friends but I was mistaken.

Value your Real Friends .. Tell them you appreciate them.
Don't take it for granted that they are your friends ..
Reciprocate .. don't make them feel that it is one sided ..
Be glad you have friends.



The railroad track is miles away, 
    And the day is loud with voices speaking, 
Yet there isn’t a train goes by all day 
    But I hear its whistle shrieking.

All night there isn’t a train goes by, 
    Though the night is still for sleep and dreaming, 
But I see its cinders red on the sky, 
    And hear its engine steaming.

My heart is warm with the friends I make, 
    And better friends I’ll not be knowing; 
Yet there isn’t a train I wouldn’t take, 
    No matter where it’s going.

2 comments:

  1. Morning Candice...
    Sorry if I have been absent from here...
    Busy New Year...lots of changes in my life...
    I hope you know that I do consider you my friend...
    Have a lovely day...and...wishing you a Happy New Year, in whatever you choose to do...
    Cheers1
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Linda, we are Friends, no doubt about that :)
    Happy New Year and cheers to you too !

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome..Thank you.

Living in Argentina

Living in Argentina

Blog Archive

Pages

And Don't Forget To Visit Me Here Too !

See more photos here

sunset in Buenos Aires

Powered By Blogger